How do you select products for your professional kit? August 19, 2015 08:00
Hair and Make-Up Professional Erin Smylie (@erinsmylie) talks to us about how she chooses her professional make-up
[Photo by: Jack and Jane].
I am often asked how do professional Make-up Artist’s choose the products that they have in their kits?
I personally go through a criteria checklist when adding a new product line or product item to my professional make-up kit.
- How frequently am I going to use this product?
- There is no use purchasing a product if you maybe going to use it once. Make-up does not have a never ending lifespan and will need to be replaced frequently.
- The longevity of a product when applying it to a face?
- When doing bridal make-up in particular, you want to ensure your make-up is going to last for the entire event, be flawless on camera, your mascara and eyeliner are waterproof and your lipstick or lip gloss is a great product that you would want to wear for an entire day and can be easily reapplied.
- How pigmented is a product?
- You want to be able to use as little of a particular product to get a maximum effect.
- What are the ingredients in the product?
- Many make-up artists and clients want products that have as many natural ingredients in the product makeup as possible. Knowing that they are cruelty free makes everyone feel better about using the product and creates an ethical platform when promoting your services.
Every Make-up Artist decides on certain products because it works for them and their clientele. Never judge an artist on what is in their kit but rather on the result when applied.
There are so many products available to us in a professional space and it is just finding the one that suits your needs. Sometimes it will be trial and error and that is fine.
Erin Smylie - www.erinsmylie.co.za